- Author: Irina V. Ershova
- УДК / UDK: 822.214.171.124
- About the author:
Irina V. Ershova — DSc in Philology, Leading Research Fellow, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia; Head of the Laboratory of Historical and Literary Research, School for the Advanced Studies in the Humanities, The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Vernadsky Ave. 82, 119571 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7319-2945
The article deals with the history of Russian manuscript tradition from the period since the end of the 17th – first half of the 18th century that is a version of the so-called European “popular literature.” These books were addressing mass audience interested in fictional literature, and contained secular and entertaining stories, mainly based on amorous adventures. Part of this Russian tradition was represented by translated novels, including the trend that might be aptly defined as “novels on Spanish princes.” This description is systematically used in the titles of corresponding texts, and that facts looks rather strange, considering almost total lack of knowledge of Spanish literature or language, or any contacts with Spain in the Russian culture of the time. Through the analysis of a number of these texts (“The Novel of Brun,” “The Story of Decoronij,” “The Story of Doltorn,” and several others), the author comes to a hypothetical explanation of the origin of this peculiar genre that becomes a specific appropriation of Spanishness in Russian literature.
- Keywords: popular literature, Russian literature of 17th–18th centuries, novels of love and adventure, history of translation, appropriation.
- For citation:
Ershova, I.V. “The Strange Appropriation: ‘Novels on Spanish Princes’ in Russian Popular Literature of the End of 17th – First Half of 18th Centuries.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 4 (26), 2022, pp. 123–139. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2022-26-123-139
- Likhachev, D.S., Dmitrieva, L.A., Ponyrko, N.V., editors. Biblioteka literatury Drevnei Rusi [ Library of Old Russian Literature], vol. 15: XVII vek [17th Century]. St. Petersburg, Nauka Publ., 2006. 530 p. (In Russ.)
- Berkov, P.N., Malyshev, V.I. “Novonaidennoe belletristicheskoe proizvedenie pervoi poloviny XVIII veka (‘Povest’ o gishpanskom dvorianine Karle i sestre ego Sofii’)” [“A New-Found Work of Fiction from the First Half of the 18th Century (‘The Story of the Gishpani Nobleman Charles and his Sister Sophia’)”]. Trudy Otdela drevnerusskoi literatury [Proceedings of the Department of Old Russian Literature], vol. 9. Moscow, Leningrad, Academy of the Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1953, pp. 408–426. (In Russ.)
- Dmitriev, L.A., Lotman, Iu.M. “Novonaidennaia povest’ XVIII v. ‘Istoriia o portugal’skoi korolevne Anne i gishpanskom koroleviche Aleksandre’.” [“Newly Discovered 18th-Century Tale ‘The Story of the Portuguese Queen Anne and Prince Alexander of Hispañia’.”]. Trudy Otdela drevnerusskoi literatury [ Proceedings of the Department of Old Russian Literature], vol. 16. Moscow, Leningrad, Academy of the Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1960, pp. 490–505. (In Russ.)
- Kozlova, A.A. “Obraz Ispanii v istoricheskoi i dokumental’noi russkoi proze XV–XVIII vv.” [“The Image of Spain in Documental and Historical Russian Prose of 15th–18th Centuries”]. Novyi filologicheskii vestnik, no. 4 (35), 2015, pp. 164–172. (In Russ.)
- Kopanev, N.A. “Rasprostranenie inostrannoi knigi v Peterburge v pervoi polovine XVIII veka: Po materialam akademicheskikh knigotorgovykh katalogov” [“Distribution of Foreign Books in St. Petersburg in the First Half of the 18th Century: According to the Materials of Academic Booksellers’ Catalogues”]. Russkie knigi i biblioteki v XVI – pervoi polovine XIX veka [Russian Books and Libraries in 16th – First Half of 19th Century]. Leningrad, Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences Publ., 1983, pp. 38–53. (In Russ.)
- Kuz’mina, V.D. Rytsarskii roman na Rusi [The Chivalrous Novel in Russia]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1964. 355 p. (In Russ.)
- Kurysheva, L.A. “Siuzhetno-motivnye kompleksy russkoi rukopisnoi literatury XVIII veka” [“Plot-Motif Complexes of Russian Manuscript Literature of the 18th Century”].
- Siuzhetno-motivnye kompleksy russkoi literatury [Plot-Motif Complexes of Russian Literature]. Novosibirsk, Geo Publ., 2012, pp. 27–36. (In Russ.)
- Moiseeva, G.N. “Gistoriia o rossiiskom matrose Vasilii Kiriatskom (K voprosu o sostave i proiskhozhdenii povesti)” [“The Story of the Russian Sailor Vasily Kiryatsky (On the Composition and Origin of the Story)”]. Trudy Otdela drevnerusskoi literatury [Proceedings of the Department of Old Russian Literature], vol. 10. Moscow, Leningrad, Academy of the Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1954, pp. 358–388. (In Russ.)
- Nikolaeva, M.B. “‘Gistoriia o gishpanskom koroleviche Dekoronii’ (pervaia polovina XVIII v.)” [“‘Story about Gishpanish Prince Dekoronii’ (First Half of the 18th Century)”]. Trudy Otdela drevnerusskoi literatury [Proceedings of the Department of Old Russian Literature], vol. 21. Moscow, Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1965, pp. 275–296. (In Russ.)
- Pokrovskaia, V.F. “Povest’ ob ispanskom koroleviche Vrune i ego supruge Meleonii (K istorii perevodnoi literatury XVII v.)” [“The Tale of the Spanish Prince Vroun and his Wife Meleonia (To the History of the Translated Literature of the 17th Century)”]. Trudy Otdela drevnerusskoi literatury [Proceedings of the Department of Old Russian Literature], vol. IV. Moscow, Leningrad, Academy of the Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1940, pp. 176–198. (In Russ.)
- Pypin, A.N. Dlia liubitelei knizhnoi stariny: Bibliograficheskii spisok rukopisnykh romanov, povestei, skazok, poem i prochaia, v osobennosti pervoi poloviny XVIII v. [For Lovers of Book Antiquity: Bibliographical List of Handwritten Novels, Stories, Fairy Tales, Poems etc., Especially of the First Half of the 18th Century]. Moscow, Obshchestvo Liubitelei Rossiiskoi Slovesnosti Publ., 1888. 74 p. (In Russ.)
- Iz istorii narodnoi povesti. Gistoriia o gishpanskom shliakhtiche Doltorne, kak veroiatnyi istochnik povesti o rossiiskom matrose Vasilii [From the History of the Folk Novel. Story about the Spanish Nobleman Doltorn as a Possible Source of the Tale of the Russian Sailor Vasily], text based on manuscripts of the 18th century and introd. by A.N. Pypin. St. Petersburg, [Balashev Publ.], 1887. XII, 63 p. (In Russ.)
- Sipovskii, V.V. Iz istorii russkogo romana i povesti [From the History of the Russian Novel and Story], part 1: XVIII vek [18th Century]. St. Petersburg, Parovaia skoropechatnia G.P. Pozharova, 1903. 351 p. (In Russ.)
- Sobolevskii, A.I. Perevodnaia literatura Moskovskoi Rusi XIV–XVII vekov. Bibliograficheskie materialy [Translated Literature of Moscow Rus in 14th–17th Centuries. Bibliographic Materials]. St. Petersburg, Imperatorskaia Academiia Nauk Publ., 1903. 460 p. (In Russ.)
- Sopikov, V.S. Opyt rossiiskoi bibliografii: ili polnyi slovar’ sochinenii i perevodov, napechatannykh na slavenskom i rossiiskom iazykakh, ot nachala zavedeniia tipografii, do 1813 goda, s predisloviem, sluzhashchim vvedeniem v siiu nauku, sovershenno novuiu v Rossii, s istoriei o nachale i uspekhakh knigopechataniia kak v Evrope voobshche, tak i osobenno v Rossii, s primechaniiami o drevnikh i novykh redkikh knigakh i ikh izdaniiakh, i s kratkimi iz onykh vypiskami [ Experience of Russian Bibliography: or Complete Dictionary of Works and Translations Printed in Slavonic and Russian languages, from the Beginning of the Establishment of Printing Houses to 1813, with a Preface, which Serves as an Introduction to this Science, Entirely New in Russia, with a History of the Beginning and Successes of Book Printing in Europe in General and Especially in Russia, with Notes on Ancient and New Rare Books and their Editions, and with Brief Extracts from Them], part 1. St. Petersburg, Tipografiia Imperatorskogo Theatra Publ., 1813. 314 p. (In Russ.)