- УДК / UDK: 82 (091)
Making corrections to his biography written by I.A. Gruzdev, M. Gorky in 1933 paid special attention to how it covered the Samara period of his activity and his relationship with the “Samarsky Vestnik” newspaper, one of the most prominent employees of which was a publicist and writer R.E. Zimmerman. Drawing on the memoirs and testimonies of contemporaries M. Gorky and R.E. Zimmerman — N.A. Samoilova and A.A. Sanin, the authors of the article suggest that the picture painted by M. Gorky was somewhat one-sided and in places contradicted the truth. Further, the reasons that could make M. Gorky too subjective in assessing both “Samarsky Vestnik” as a whole and its employees are considered. Among these reasons were, in particular, the accusations leveled against M. Gorky by the Marxists who collaborated with “Vestnik” that he defended, in their opinion, the positions of the populists “leaving the stage.” The envy of the latter, who worked in a conservative populist organ, to the young, educated, and progressive-minded employees of the rival newspaper, “Samarsky Vestnik”; and also — the education of competitors, who seemed to the more naive and “holding on with a challenge” M. Gorky excessively arrogant and arrogant. Separately, the reason for the special “dislike” of Gorky for Zimmerman, chosen by Gorky, making corrections to his biography, as the main character of the conflict with “undemocratic” leading Marxists: Zimmerman was more suitable than others for the role of an ideological opponent of Gorky, who was looking for his ways.
- Keywords: M. Gorky, R. Zimmerman, populists, Marxists, “Samarskaya Gazeta,” “Samarsky Vestnik,” polemics, I. Gruzdev, biography, amendments.
- For citation:
Perepelkin, M.A., Pelevina, O.V. “ʽPoints to Follow.’ On the History of Relations between M. Gorky and ʽSamarsky Vestnik’ and R.E. Zimmerman.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 3 (29), 2023, pp. 155–173. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2023-29-155-173
1. Gor’kii, M. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii. Pis’ma: v 24 t. [Complete Works. Letters: in 24 vols.], vol. 22, book 1: Pis’ma: mart 1933 – iiun’ 1934 [Letters. March 1933 – June 1934]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2022. 925 p. (In Russ.)
2. Perepelkin, M.A. Evgenii Nikolaevich Chirikov. Samarskie stranitsy zhizni i tvorchestva [Evgeny Nikolaevich Chirikov. Samara Pages of Life and Works]. Samara, Slovo Publ., 2020. 152 p. (In Russ.)
3. Perepelkin, M.A., and O.V. Pelevina. “ʽPoliticheski neblagonadezhnyi’ pisatel’ Tsimmerman: popytka biografii” [“ʽPolitically Unreliable’ Writer Zimmerman: Biography Attempt”]. Samarskii archivist, no. 2, 2021, pp. 34–41. (In Russ.)
4. Perepelkin, M.A., and L.A. Solov’eva. “Tsimmerman Reingol’d Ernst” [“Tsimmerman Reingold Ernst”]. Russkie pisateli. 1800–1917. Biograficheskii slovar' [Russian Writers. 1800–1917: Biographical Dictionary]. Moscow, St. Petersburg, Bol’shaia Rossiiskaia entsiklopediia, Nestor-istoriia Publ., 2019, pp. 582–583. (In Russ.)
5. Samoilov, N. “Pervaia legal’naia marksistskaia gazeta v Rossii (ʽSamarskii vestnik,’ 1896–1897 gg.)” [“The First Legal Marxist Newspaper in Russia (ʽSamarsky Vestnik,’ 1896–1897)”]. Proletarskaia revoliutsiia, no. 4, 1927, pp. 90–109. (In Russ.)
6. Sanin, A. “Samarskii vestnik” v rukakh marksistov (1896–1897 gg.) [“Samarsky Vestnik” in the Hands of the Marxists (1896–1897)]. Moscow, Izdatel’stvo Vsesoiuznogo obshchestva politkatorzhan i ssyl’no-poselentsev Publ., 1933. 74 p. (In Russ.)
7. Smirnov (Treplev), A. Teatr dush: Stikhi. Kriticheskie etiudy. Vospominaniia. Pis’ma [Theater of Souls: Poems. Critical studies. Memories. Letters]. Samara, Samara University Publ., 2006. 511 p. (In Russ.)
8. Iankina, L.I. M. Gor’kii v Samare [M. Gorky in Samara]. Kuybyshev, [S. n.], 1973. 112 p. (In Russ.)