- УДК / UDK: 8126.96.36.199
For the first time, the correspondence of the writer, journalist, publisher Faddey Bulgarin with the historian and archeographer Konstantin Kalaidovich is published in full. The article introduces into scientific circulation their letters for 1822–1824, mainly devoted to the materials of the historical St. Petersburg journal “Northern Archive,” the publication of which was undertaken by F.V. Bulgarin. K.F. Kalaidovich, who lived in Moscow, was an experienced employee of the Archive of the Collegium of Foreign Affairs and the chief superintendent of the Commission for the Printing of State Letters and Treaties. He helped the journal with the communication of valuable documents on the history of medieval Rus’ and the Moscow kingdom of the 15th–17th Centuries, having prepared more than 10 publications for the “Northern Archive” in five years. Kalaidovich also acted as an intermediary between Bulgarin and his fellow historians, members of the “circle” of a patron of art, fascinated by national history, Count N.P. Rumyantsev. The publication touches upon the issues of organizing historical research, the controversy around the “History of the Russian State” by N.M. Karamzin, journal policy in Russia in the 1st quarter of the 19th century, and payment for journal publications.
- Keywords: correspondence of writers, journal “Northern archive,” F.V. Bulgarin, K.F. Kalaidovich, Russian historiography, history of journalism.
- For citation:
Reitblat, A.I. “Correspondence of F.V. Bulgarin and K.F. Kalaidovich.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 3 (29), 2023, pp. 136–154. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2023-29-136-154
1. Afiani, V.Iu. “Arkheografiia v zhurnale ʽSevernyi arkhiv’ (1822–1828)” [“Archeography in the Journal ʽNorthern Archive’ (1822–1828)”]. Voprosy istochnikovedeniia i istoriografii istorii SSSR. Dooktiabr’skii period [Issues of Source Study and Historiography of the History of the USSR. Pre-October Period]. Moscow, Institute of History Publ., 1981, pp. 148–158. (In Russ.)
2. Barsukov, N. Zhizn’ i trudy P.M. Stroeva [Life and Works of P.M. Stroev]. St. Petersburg, Balashev Publ., 1878. VI, 668 p. (In Russ.)
3. Bessonov, P.A. Konstantin Fedorovich Kalaidovich: biograficheskii ocherk: v 2 t. [Konstantin Fedorovich Kalaidovich: Biographical Sketch: in 2 vols.]. Moscow, A. Semen Publ., 1861–1862. (In Russ.)
4. Gotovtseva, A.G. “ʽMoi Arkhiv budet ofitsial’nym zhurnalom Ministerstva prosveshcheniia’: Ob odnom nesostoiavshemsia zhurnal’nom proekte F.V. Bulgarina” [“My ʽArchive’ will be the Official Journal of the Ministry of Education’: About One Failed Journal Project by F.V. Bulgarin”]. Vestnik RGGU, no. 13, 2012, pp. 43–56. (In Russ.)
5. Kozlov, V.P. Rossiiskaia arkheografiia kontsa XVIII – pervoi chetverti XIX veka [Russian Archeography of the End of the 18th – the First Quarter of the 19th Century]. Moscow, Russian State University for the Humanities Publ., 1999. 415 p. (In Russ.)
6. Starikova, L.M. “ʽZapiska o vozniknovenii i razvitii teatral’nogo iskusstva v Moskve so vremeni Alekseia Mikhailovicha po 19 vek’ A.F. Malinovskogo” [“ʽA Note on the Emergence and Development of Theatrical Art in Moscow from the Time of Alexei Mikhailovich to the 19th Century’ by A.F. Malinovsky”]. Pamiatniki kul’tury. Novye otkrytiia: Pis’mennost’. Iskusstvo. Arkheologiia. 1993 god [Monuments of Culture. New Discoveries: Writing. Art. Archeology. 1993]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1994, pp. 51–64. (In Russ.)
7. Frantsov, V.A. Pol’skoe slavianovedenie kontsa XVIII i pervoi chetverti XIX st. [Polish Slavic Studies of the Late 18th and First Quarter of the 19th Century]. Prague, Politiki Publ., 1906. IX, 172, 10 p. (In Russ.)