- Author: Evgeny R. Ponomarev
- УДК / UDK: 8188.8.131.52
- About the author:
Evgeny R. Ponomarev — DSc in Philology, Leading Research Fellow, А.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 a, 121069 Moscow, Russia; Professor, Russian Christian Academy for the Humanities, Fontanka Emb. 15, 191023 St. Petersburg, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5508-6532
The article presents an analysis of the publications of I.A. Bunin and V.N. Muromtseva-Bunina on the pages of the “Novyi zhurnal” (“The New Review”) for its entire history. It turns out that there were significantly more posthumous Bunin’s publications in this edition than lifetime ones. The author sees in this fact the project of V.N. Muromtseva-Bunina, dedicated to the memory of the “eternally living husband”: Bunin remained the main author of the journal for several decades after his death. While sorting through her husband’s archive, the widow began regularly publishing previously unknown prose in the “Novyi Zhurnal,” as well as poems (both never published and thoroughly forgotten). The project was continued by the inheritors of Bunin’s widow, namely L.F. Zurov and M.E. Green. Semantically close to Bunin’s series was the publication of autobiographical essays by V.N. Muromtseva- Bunina “Conversations with Memory,” dedicated to her life together with Bunin. This broadest Bunin context, deployed on the pages of the main journal of the post-war Russian emigration, could be explained with the special situation that had developed in emigrant journalism. Muromtseva-Bunina was interested in constantly receiving author’s fee and tried not to miss a single volume, and the journal wanted to continue printing in the first place the well-known classic of Russia abroad. “Novyi Zhurnal” remained a “Bunin’s journal” until the mid-1970s (or if we talk about the regular publication of Bunin’s literary texts until 1969) and extended Bunin’s writing life for almost 20 years.
Acknowledgements: The reported study was carried out at IWL RAS with the financial support of the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 22-28-01340 “Complete Works of V.N. Muromtseva-Bunina: Archival Research, Comprehensive Study, Publication”).
- Keywords: I.A. Bunin, V.N. Muromtseva-Bunina, L.F. Zurov, M.E. Green, “Novyi zhurnal,” Bunin’s literary heritage, “Conversations with Memory,” emigrant journalism, emigrantica.
- For citation:
Ponomarev, E.R. “I.A. Bunin and V.N. Muromtseva-Bunina on the Pages of the ‘Novyi Zhurnal’ / ‘The New Review’.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 1 (27), 2023, pp. 258–268. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2023-27-258-268
1. Bunin, I.A. “Nabroski” [“Sketches”], text prep., introd. and notes by E.R. Ponomarev. Literaturnoe nasledstvo [Literary Heritage], vol. 110, book 1: I.A. Bunin. Novye materialy i issledovaniia [I.A. Bunin. New Materials and Research], ed. and comp. by О.А. Коrоstelev, S.N. Morosov. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2019, pp. 132–322. (In Russ.)
2. Bunin, I.A. “Posmertnye proizvedeniia (republikatsiia chetyrnadtsati rasskazov na osnove tekstologicheskogo issledovaniia)” [“Posthumous Works (Republication of 14 Short Stories Based on Textual Research)”], ed. by E.R. Ponomarev. Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, no. 3 (175), 2022, pp. 255–275. DOI: 10.53953/08696365_2022_175_3_255 (In Russ.)
3. I.A. Bunin. Novye materialy [ I.A. Bunin. New Materials], issue 3: “…Kogda perepisyvaiutsia blizkie liudi.” Pis’ma I.A. Bunina, V.N. Buninoi, L.F. Zurova k G.N. Kuznetsovoi i M.A. Stepun [Letters from I.A. Bunin, V.N. Bunina, L.F. Zurov to G.N. Kuznetsova and M.A. Stepun], comp., text prep., scientific apparatus by E.R. Ponomarev and R. Devis, introd. article by E.R. Ponomarev. Moscow, Russkii put’ Publ., 2014. 714 p. (In Russ.)
4. Ponomarev, E.R. “Krug ‘Temnykh allei’: Neopublikovannyi rasskaz I.A. Bunina” [“The Circle of the ‘Dark Alleys’: The Unpublished Story by I.A. Bunin”]. Voprosy literatury, no. 5, 2015, pp. 318–330. (In Russ.)
5. Ponomarev, E.R. “Posmertnye proizvedeniia Ivana Bunina: oshibki publikatorov i vosstanovlennyi tekst” [“The Posthumous Works of Ivan Bunin: Publishers’ Mistakes and Restored Texts”]. Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, no. 3 (175), 2022, pp. 249–254. DOI: 10.53953/08696365_2022_175_3_249 (In Russ.)
6. Ponomarev, E.R. “Preodolevshii modernism: tvorchestvo I.A. Bunina emigrantskogo perioda: monografiia” [“Overcoming Modernism: I.A. Bunin’s Work of the Emigrant Period: A Monograph”]. Moscow, Litfact Publ., 2019. 340 p. (In Russ.)
7. Ponomarev, E.R. “Rasskazy kruga ‘Temnykh allei’.” [“The Stories from the Circle of the ‘Dark Alleys’.”]. Russkaia literatura, no. 3, 2020, pp. 141–152. DOI: 10.31860/0131-6095- 2020-3-141-152 (In Russ.)
8. Rogachevskaia, E. “Literator Vera Nikolaevna Muromtseva” [“Writer Vera Nikolaevna Muromtseva”]. Emigrantica et cetera: K 60-letiiu Olega Korosteleva [Emigrantiсa et cetera: To the 60th Anniversary of Oleg Korostelev], ed. and comp. E.R. Ponomarev, M. Schruba. Мoscow, Dmitry Sechin Publ., 2019, pp. 753–774. (In Russ.)
9. Ustami Buninykh: dnevniki Ivana Alekseevicha i Very Nikolaevny i drugie arkhivnye materialy: v 3 t. [ Through the Voices of the Bunins: Diaries of Ivan Alekseevich and Vera Nikolaevna and Other Archive Materials: in 3 vols.]. Frankfurt am Main, Posev Publ., 1977–1982. (In Russ.)