- УДК / UDK: 8220.127.116.11
The article is devoted to the last short story by Nikolai Gogol — “Enchanted Place” — which concludes the second part of the collection “Evenings on a Farm near Dikanka” (1829–1832). The article traces both borrowed from folklore or from the works of other writers, and original narrative techniques that make up a strictly thought-out system. Theese techniques aim to attract the reader’s attention, to intrigue him with the “strange” nature of the narrative, the “strange” events that make up the plot, as well as the defamiliarized images of space and time. It manifests not only at the stylistic level of the story, but also at the phonetic and figurative ones. Thus, the device of artistic ostranenie (the term described in the works of Viktor Shklovsky and other representatives of the formal school, usually translated as “defamiliarization” or “estrangement”) serves as one of the brightest exponents of Gogol’s work. The effects of strangeness and surprise help the author to influence the reader’s imagination in such a way that he believes in the reality of the described supernatural events, objects, creatures, as well as in the reality of the transformations of the landscape on different sides of the invisible border between “real” and “magic” worlds.
- Keywords: Nikolai Gogol, “Enchanted Place,” narrative technique, plot construction, mythopoetic landscape, fairy tale, estrangement.
- For citation:
Szczukin, W.G. “How Nikolai Gogol’s ‘Enchanted Place’ was Made.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 1 (27), 2023, pp. 157–172. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2023-27-157-172
1. Bakhtin, M.M. Tvorchestvo Fransua Rable i narodnaia kul’tura srednevekov’ia i Renessansa [The Creativity of Francois Rabelais and the Popular Culture of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance]. Moscow, Khudozhestvennaia Literatura Publ., 1965. 528 p. (In Russ.)
2. Gogol’, N.V. “Zakoldovannoe mesto” [“Enchanted Place”]. Gogol, N.V. Sobranie sochinenii: v 6 t. [Collected Works: in 6 vols.], vol. 1. Moscow, Gosudarstvennoe izdatel’stvo khudozhestvennoi literatury Publ., 1950, pp. 206–213. (In Russ.)
3. Ivanitskii, A.I.. “Gogol’ i Gofman: grotesk i ego preodolenie” [“Gogol and Hoffmann: the Grotesque and its Overcoming”]. Vtorye gogolevskie chteniia. N.V. Gogol’ i mirovaia kul’tura: Sbornik dokladov [Second Gogol Readings: Gogol and World Culture. Collection of Reports]. Moscow, Knizhnyi dom Universitet Publ., 2003, pp. 167–180. (In Russ.)
4. Lotman, Iu.M. “Problema khudozhestvennogo prostranstva v proze Gogolia” [“The Problem of Artistic Space in Gogol’s Prose”]. Lotman, Iu.M. Izbrannye stat’i: v 3 t. [Selected Articles: in 3 vols.], vol. 1. Tallinn, Aleksandra Publ., 1992, pp. 413–447. (In Russ.)
5. Mann, Iu.V. “Poetika Gogolia” [“Gogol’s Poetics”]. Mann, Iu.V. Tvorchestvo Gogolia: smysl i forma [Gogol’s Work: Meaning and Form]. St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg University Publ., 2007, pp. 7–352. (In Russ.)
6. Propp, V.Ia.. Morfologiia skazki [ Morphology of the Fairy Tale]. 2nd ed. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1969. 168 p. (In Russ.)
7. Pushkin, A.S. “Zimnee utro” [“Winter Morning”]. Pushkin, A.S. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii: v 10 t. [Complete Works: in 10 vols.], vol. 3. Moscow, Leningrad, The Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1949, pp. 127–128. (In Russ.)
8. Stepanov, N.L. <“Primechaniia k rasskazu N.V. Gogolia ‘Zakoldovannoe mesto’.”> [<“Notes on N.V. Gogol’s Story ‘The Enchanted Place’.”>]. Gogol’, N.V. Sobranie sochinenii: v 6 t. [Collected Works: in 6 vols.], vol. 1. Moscow, Gosudarstvennoe izdatel’stvo khudozhestvennoi literatury Publ., 1950, pp. 323–324. (In Russ.)
9. Shklovskii, V.B. “Iskusstvo kak priem” [“Art as Technique”]. Shklovskii, V.B. O teorii prozy [On the Theory of Prose]. Moscow, Sovetskii pisatel’ Publ., 1983, pp. 9–25. (In Russ.)