- УДК / UDK: 822.214.171.124
“The True Friend” is not the most famous comedy by Carlo Goldoni that are often put on a stage. It has a different importance. It was “The True Friend” from which Denis Diderot borrowed the plot for his play “The Natural Son,” then being accused of plagiarism and beginning to defend himself. This controversy contributed to a more explicit designation of various trends in the dramaturgy of the 18th century. The miser’s monologue in “The True Friend” became a source for the baron’s monologue in Pushkin’s “The Miserly Knight,” and the very figure of the miser in this play by Goldoni gained a prominent place in the literary series formed around this “eternal image” (from Plautus and Molière to Pushkin, Gogol and Balzac). “The True Friend” was previously published in Russian only as a collotype and in free translations.
- Keywords: Carlo Goldoni, Denis Diderot, Alexander Pushkin, 18th century comedy.
- For citation:
“Carlo Goldoni. ‘The True Friend’,” trans., notes and introd. article by M.L. Andreev. Literaturnyi fakt, no. 4 (26), 2022, pp. 8–74. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2022-26-8-74
1. Annenkov, P.V. Literaturnye vospominaniia [Literary Memoirs]. Moscow, Pravda Publ., 1989. 683 p. (In Russ.)
2. Budanova, I.B., Zhiliakova, Iu.M. A.N. Ostrovskii — perevodchik ital'ianskikh dramaturgov [ A.N. Ostrovsky as a Translator of Italian Playwrights]. Tomsk, Tomsk University Publ., 2018. 233 p. (In Russ.)
3. Didro, D. Sobranie sochinenii: v 10 t. [Collected Works: in 10 vols.], vol. 5: Teatr i dramaturgiia [Theatre and Drama]. Moscow, Leningrad, Academia Publ., 1936. 656 p. (In Russ.)
4. Rozanov, M.N. “Pushkin i Gol’doni: K voprosu o prototipakh ‘Skupogo rytsaria’.” [“Pushkin and Goldoni: To the Question of the Prototypes of ‘The Miserly Knight’.”]. Pushkin i ego sovremenniki [Pushkin and His Contemporaries], issue XXXVIII –XXXIX. Leningrad, Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1930, pp. 141–150. (In Russ.)
5. Khlodovskii, R.I. “Gol’doni, Didro i Pushkin” [“Goldoni, Diderot and Pushkin”]. Moskovskii pushkinist [ Moscow Pushkin Scholar], issue IV. Moscow, Nasledie Publ., 1997, pp. 220–232. (In Russ.)
6. Goldoni, Carlo. “Il Vero Amico.” Goldoni, Carlo. Opere Complete, vol. V, a cura di G. Ortolani, E. Maddalena, C. Musati. Venezia, Municipio di Venezia, 1909, pp. 301–391. (In Italiano)