“Listening to a Great Artist, I Found Something Great and Necessary…»: Simon Fix's Letters to Maxim Gorky and about Maxim Gorky (Based on the Materials of A.M. Gorky’s Archive)
- Author: Larisa G. Zhukhovitskaya
- УДК / UDK: 8188.8.131.52
- About the author:
Larisa G. Zhukhovitskaya — Research Engineer, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9240-594X
This publication of materials from A.M. Gorky’s archive supplements studies related to the name of the artist Simon Fix, new facts and details of his life and work. The only mention of Fix’s name in Gorky's letter to the publisher A. Kogan (the publication of L. Fleishman in 1979) remained without comment for a long time and scattered information about the artist left significant gaps in his biography. V. Khazan's research, supplemented by the publication of Fix’s letters to R. Friedlander and N. Friedlander, kept in the archives of David and Yevsey Shor (National Library of Israel, Jerusalem), recreates the main episodes of the artist's creative biography. Letters stored in the A.M. Gorky’s Archive reveal the details of a previously unknown acquaintance between the artist and the writer. Presented corpus of Fix’s letters — three letters to Gorky and four letters to relatives — testifies to their rather long acquaintance and Gorky’s obvious interest in works and personality of the young painter. The content of Fix’s letter to Gorky dated January 28, 1936 continues the theme of the conversation with Gorky during the meeting in Sorrento, which Fix described to his relatives in April 1928. It is logical to assume that its topics — art education and the position of artists in Soviet society — were discussed with Gorky also in the period between these two dates: perhaps researchers will have a chance to verify it.
- Keywords: Maxim Gorky, Simon Fix, Pavel Muratov, Maxim Peshkov, Russian artists in Italy, Russian culture in Italy, correspondence, A.M. Gorky’s Archive.
- For citation:
Zhukhovitskaya, L.G. “‘Listening to a Great Artist, I Found Something Great and Necessary…’: Simon Fix’s Letters to Maxim Gorky and about Maxim Gorky (Based on the Materials of A.M. Gorky’s Archive).” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 2 (24), 2022, pp. 132–151. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2022-24-132-151
1. Babel’, I.E. Sochineniia: v 2 t. [Works: in 2 vols.], vol. 1. Moscow, Khudozhestvennaia literatura Publ., 1990. 574 p. (In Russ.)
2. Barkovskaia, O.M. Obshchestvo nezavisimykh khudozhnikov v Odesse: Biobibliograficheskii spravochnik [The Society of Independent Artists in Odessa: Bibliographic Reference-book], comp. by O.M. Barkovskaya. Odessa, Odesskaia natsional’naia nauchnaia biblioteka imeni M. Gor’kogo Publ., 2012. 216 р. (In Russ.)
3. Buluchevskaya, E.A. “Emigratsiia deiatelei russkoi kul’tury v Italiiu (1918–1939): k voprosu o statistike i tipologizatsii” [“Emigration of Russian Culture to Italy (1918–1939): to the Issue of Statistics and Typology”]. Vestnik KGU im. N.A. Nekrasova, no. 3, 2016, pp. 43–46. (In Russ.)
4. Buluchevskaia, E.A. Emigratsiya deiatelei russkoi kul’tury v Italiiu (1918–1939) [Emigration of Russian culture’s Figures to Italy: PhD Thesis]. St. Petersburg, 2018. 414 p.
5. Vystavki sovetskogo izobrazitel’nogo iskusstva: Spravochnik: <v 5 t.> [The Exhibitions of Soviet Art: Referense-book: <in 5 vols.>]. Moscow, Sovetskii khudozhnik Publ., 1965–1981. (In Russ.)
6. Gor’kii, M. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii: v 24 t. [Complete Works: in 24 vols.], vol. 15: Pis’ma [Letters]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2012. 966 p. (In Russ.)
7. Gor’kii, M. “O pol’ze gramotnosti” [“About the Benefits of Literasy”]. O literature. Stat’i i rechi. 1928–1935. Moscow, Goslitizdat Publ., 1935, pp. 9–15 (In Russ.)
8. Russkoe prisutstvie v Italii v pervoi polovine XX veka: Entsiklopediia [Russian Presence in Italy in the First Half of the 20th Century: Encyclopedia], сomp. by Antonella d’Ameliya, Daniela Riczci. Moscow, Politicheskaia Entsiklopediia Publ., 2019, 863 p. (In Russ.)
9. Fleishman, L. “Gor’kii i zhurnal’nyi proekt A.E. Kogana” [“Gorky and Publishing Project of A.E. Kogan”]. Slavica Hierosolymitana: Slavic Studies of the Hebrew University, vol. IV. Jerusalem, The Hebrew University, The Magnes Press, 1979, pp. 268–273. (In Russ.)
10. Khazan, V. “Adresat neizvesten (Dve zametki o khudozhnikakh i ikh pokroviteliakh)” [“Addressee Unknown (Two Notes about Artists and their Patrons)”]. Skreshcheniia sudeb. Literarische und Kulturelle Beziehungen Zwischen Russland und dem Westen. A Festschift for Fedor B. Poljakov [Crossing of Fates. Literary and Cultural Relations between Russia and the West. A Festschrift for Fedor B. Polyakov]. Berlin, Peter Lang Publ., 2019, pp. 409–438. (Stanford Slavic Studies, vol. 49) (In Russ.)