- Author: Tatiana M. Dvinyatina
- УДК / UDK: 818.104.22.168
- About the author:
Tatiana M. Dvinyatina — DSc in Philology, Senior Researcher, А.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9772-6910
- Author 2: Sergey N. Morozov
- About the author 2:
Sergey N. Morozov — PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher, А.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4986-3291
This article develops the theme expounded in the authors’ research published above. It contains a detailed reconstruction of the chronicle of Ivan Bunin’s main pilgrimage through Palestine in April –May 1907. Using all available documentary evidences, the authors of the article make an attempt to reveal the concrete texture of the days when Bunin and Vera Muromtseva spent on their “first distant voyage and honeymoon, which was at the same time a pilgrimage to the Holy Land of Our Lord Jesus Christ” (“The Rose of Jericho”). The article also shows how the immediate impressions of that journey are reflected in Bunin's works and what traces it left in his artistic and personal outlook. The research differs from many studies on the Oriental theme in Ivan Bunin's oeuvres by being primarily biographical and factual in nature.
- Keywords: I.A. Bunin, Palestine, biography, travel, “The Temple of the Sun” (1917).
- For citation:
Dvinyatina, T.M., Morozov, S.N. “Ivan Bunin's 1907 Palestine Journey: Chronicle and Context.” Literaturnyi fakt, 2022, no. 2 (24), pp. 64–94. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2022-24-64-94
1. Baboreko, A. Bunin. Zhizneopisanie [Bunin: A Biography], 2nd ed. Moscow, Molodaia gvardiia Publ., 2009. 457 p. (In Russ.)
2. Bunin, I.A. Pis’ma 1885–1904 godov [Letters. 1885–1904], ex. ed. by O.N. Mikhaylov, ed. and comm. by S.N. Morozov, L.G. Golubeva, I.A. Kostomarovа. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2003. 768 p. (In Russ.)
3. Bunin, I.A. Pis’ma 1905–1919 godov [Letters. 1905–1919], ex. ed. by O.N. Mikhaylov with the help of S.N. Morozov, ed. and comm. by S.N. Morozov, R.D. Davies, L.G. Golubeva, I.A. Kostomarova. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2007. 830 p. (In Russ.)
4. Bunin, I.A. Sobranie sochinenii: v 9 t. [ Collected Works: in 9 vols.], ed. by A.S. Miasnikov, B.S. Riurikov, A.T. Tvardovsky. Moscow, Khudozhestvennaia literatura Publ., 1965–1967. (In Russ.)
5. Letopis’ zhizni i tvorchestva I.A. Bunina [The Chronicle of Ivan Bunin’s Life and Works], vol. 1: 1870–1909 [1870–1909], comp. by S.N. Morozov. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2011. 944 p. (In Russ.)
6. Letopis’ zhizni i tvorchestva I.A. Bunina [The Chronicle of Ivan Bunin’s Life and Works], vol. 2: 1910–1919, [1910–1919], comp. by S.N. Morozov. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 1184 p. (In Russ.)
7. Literaturnoe nasledstvo [Literary Heritage], vol. 110: I.A. Bunin. Novye materialy i issledovaniia: v 4 kn. [I.A. Bunin. New Materials and Research: in 4 books], book 2, comp. O.A. Korostelev, S.N. Morozov.. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2022. 992 p. (In Russ.)
8. Muromtseva-Bunina, V.N. Zhizn' Bunina. Besedy s pamiat’iu [The Life of Bunin. Conversations with Memory], ed. and comm. by A.K. Baboreko. Moscow, Vagrius Publ., 2007. 512 р. (In Russ.)
9. Ponomarev, E.R. “I.A. Bunin i Palestina: K postanovke problemy” [“I.A. Bunin and Palestine: On the Formulation of the Problem”]. Novyi filologicheskii vestnik, no. 3 (54), 2020, рр. 131–140. DOI: 10.24411/2072-9316-2020-00072 (In Russ.)
10. Grin, M., editor. Ustami Buninykh. Dnevniki Ivana Alekseevicha i Very Nikolaevny i drugie arkhivnye materialy: v 3 t. [By the Bunins. Diaries of Ivan Alekseevich and Vera Nikolaevna and other Archival Materials: in 3 vols.]. Frankfurt am Main, 1977–1982. (In Russ.)
11. Shavlinsky, M.S. “‘Khram Solntsa’ I.A. Bunina — neokonchennyi proekt osvoeniia Vostoka” [“‘The Temple of the Sun’ by Ivan Bunin: an Unfinished Project for the Exploration of the East”]. Ivan Bunin i ego vremia: konteksty sud'by — istoriia tvorchestva [Ivan Bunin and his Time: Context of Life — History of Work], ex. ed. by T.M. Dvinyatina, S.N. Morozov, ed. by A.V. Bakuntsev, E.R. Ponomarev, series: Academic View on Bunin. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2021, pp. 934–952. https://doi.org/10.22455/AB-978-5-9208-0675-8-934-952 (In Russ.)
The research was carried out at the A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences with the financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR), project no. 20-012-41004 “Ivan Bunin and Palestine.”