- Author: Anna S. Sholokhova (text prep. and comment.)
- УДК / UDK: 8220.127.116.11
- About the author:
Anna S. Sholokhova — PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 a, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2325-9619
The author of the article publishes autograph of N.V. Gogol’s story “The Old World Landowners” — the earliest edition of the text — for the first time. This is the only handwritten source, which is different mainly stylistically from the printed version of “Mirgorod” (1835). At the same time, numerous amendments, corrections and additions made in the process of text transformation clearly demonstrate the nature of Gogol's work. The footnotes show the revision canceled by Gogol in the manuscript.
- Keywords: Russian literature, Gogol, “The Old World Landowners,” textology, academic edition.
- For citation:
Gogol, N.V. “‘The Old World Landowners.’ Autograph,” text prep. and comment. by A.S. Sholokhova. Literaturnyi fakt, no. 2 (24), 2022, pp. 8–36. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2022-24-8-36
1. Vinogradov, I.A. “Edinstvennyi avtograf povesti N.V. Gogolia ‘Vii’.” [“The Only Autograph of the Story by N.V. Gogol ‘Viy’.”]. Ot istorii teksta k istorii literatury: Nauchnoe izdanie [From the History of the Text to the History of Literature: Academic Publication]. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2019, pp. 117 –162. https://www.doi.org/10.22455/978-5-9208-0585-0 (In Russ.)
2. Gogol', N.V. Mirgorod. Povesti, sluzhashchie prodolzheniem “Vecherov na khutore bliz Dikan'ki” [Mirgorod. Stories that Serve as a Continuation of “Evenings on a Farm near Dikanka”], pt. 1: Starosvetskie pomeshchiki. Taras Bul'ba [The Old World Landowners. Taras Bulba]. St. Petersburg, V Tip. Departamenta Vneshnei Torgovli, 1835. 244 p. (In Russ.)
3. Gogol', N.V. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii: v 14 t. [Complete Works : in 14 vols.], vol. 2: Mirgorod [Mirgorod]. Moscow, Leningrad, Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union Publ., 1937. 762 p. (In Russ.)
4. Gogol', N.V. Sochineniia N.V. Gogolia [N.V. Gogol’s Work], vol. 1, 10th ed., the text is verified with the author's own manuscripts and the original editions of his works by N. Tikhonravov. Moscow, Knizhnyi magazin V. Dumnova pod firmoiu “Nasledniki brat’ev Salaevykh” Publ., 1889. 718 p. (In Russ.)