- Author: Anton V. Bakuntsev
- УДК / UDK: 8126.96.36.199
- About the author:
Anton V. Bakuntsev, PhD in Philology, Associate Professor, Faculty of Journalism, Lomonosov Moscow State University, 9 Mokhovaia street, 125009 Moscow, Russia; Senior Researcher, А.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7087-3235
The author expresses his heartfelt gratitude to the staff of the Russian State Archive of Literature and Art, as well as to S.N. Morozov (IWL RAS) and S.R. Fedyakin (Gorky Literary Institute) for their assistance in the preparation of the article. Abstract: The article uses the material of G.V. Adamovich’s publications in emigrant periodicals to address the problem of critical reception of I.A. Bunin’s novel “The Life of Arsenyev” in the late 1920s – early 1950s. Bunin in 1928–1939 published his novel in parts. At the same time, the appearance in the magazine “Sovremennye zapiski” (Paris) of each of the five books included in the novel and the release of individual book editions were preceded by the publication of fragments of “The Life of Arsenyev” in emigrant newspapers. This explains the relatively large 324 Литературный факт. 2021. № 3 (21) number of Adamovich’s responses to Bunin's novel. The critic did not let “The Life of Arsenyev” out of his field of view from the time of the publication of her third book in “Sovremennye zapiski” (1929) until the first complete edition of the novel was published in the New York Chekhov Publishing House (1952). The article traces how Adamovich’s attitude to Bunin’s work was adjusted over the years, and how, as a result, sophisticated pickiness was replaced by unconditional admiration. The empirical material is grouped taking into account the chronology of the publication of “The Life of Arsenyev”. The research methods used are the principle of historicism and comparative analysis.
The study was carried out at the Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences with the financial support of a grant from the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 17-18-01410-P).
- Keywords: G.V. Adamovich, I.A. Bunin, “The Life of Arsenyev”, the criticism, the Russian Abroad.
- For citation:
Bakuntsev, A.V. “‛The Life of Arsenyev, of Course, Is Primarily Poetry’: Georgy Adamovich on Ivan Bunin’s Novel (1929–1952).” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 3 (21), 2021, pp. 304–325. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2021-21-304-325
1. Adamovich, G. Odinochestvo i svoboda: Literaturno-kriticheskie stat'i [Loneliness and Freedom: Literary Critical Articles]. New York, Izdatel'stvo im. Chekhova Publ., 1955. 317 p. (In Russ.)
2. Viazmitinova, L.G., Tsukanov, A.L. “Zhizn' Arsen'eva: Iunost'” [“The Life of Arsenyev: Youth”]. Literaturnaia entsiklopediia Russkogo Zarubezh'ia. 1918–1940 [Literary Encyclopedia of the Russians Abroad. 1918–1940], vol. 3: Knigi [Books]. Moscow, ROSSPEN Publ., 2002, pp. 109–111. (In Russ.)
3. Mel'nikov, N.G., editor. Klassik bez retushi: Literaturnyi mir o tvorchestve I.A. Bunina: Kriticheskie otzyvy, esse, parodii (1890-e – 1950-e gody): Antologiia [Classic without Retouching: The Literary World about the Work of I.A. Bunin: Critical Reviews, Essays, Parodies (1890s–1950s): Anthology]. Moscow, Knizhnitsa Publ., Russkii put' Publ., 2010. 928 p. (In Russ.)
4. Korostelev, O. “‛Smerti net!’: G.V. Adamovich o I.A. Bunine” [“There’s No Death!: G.V. Adamovich on I.A. Bunin”]. Russkaia literatura, no. 3, 2020, pp. 105–111. DOI: 10.31860/0131-6095-2020-3-105-111 (In Russ.)
5. “Perepiska I.A. i V.N. Buninykh s G.V. Adamovichem (1926–1961)” [“Letters between I.A. and V.N. Bunin and G.V. Adamovich”], publ. by O. Korostelev and R. Devis. Korostelev, O.A., and R. Devis, editors. I.A. Bunin: Novye materialy [ I.A. Bunin: New Materials], issue 1. Moscow, Russkii put' Publ., 2004, pp. 8–164. (In Russ.)
6. “Perepiska I.A. i V.N. Buninykh s V.F. Khodasevichem (1926–1939)” [“Letters between I.A. and V.N. Bunin and V.F. Khodasevich”], publ. by D. Malmstad, Korostelev, O.A., and R. Devis, editors. I.A. Bunin: Novye materialy [ I.A. Bunin: New Materials], issue 1. Moscow, Russkii put' Publ., 2004, pp. 165–219. (In Russ.)
7. “Perepiska I.A. Bunina s N.N. Berberovoi (1927–1946)” [“Letters between I.A. Bunin and N.N. Berberova (1927–1946)”], publ. by M. Shraer, Ia. Klots and R. Devis; introd. by M. Shraer. Korostelev, O.A., and R. Devis, editors. I.A. Bunin: Novye materialy [I.A. Bunin: New Materials], issue 2. Moscow, Russkii put' Publ., 2010, pp. 8–108. (In Russ.)
8. “Pis'ma G.V. Adamovicha k Z.N. Gippius. 1925–1931” [“G.V. Adamovich’s Letters to Z.N. Gippius. 1925–1931”], introd. note, text prep. and comm. by N.A. Bogomolov. Diaspora: Novye materialy [Diaspora: New Materials], issue 3. St. Petersburg, Feniks Publ., 2002, pp. 435–535. (In Russ.)
9. “Pis'ma M.A. Aldanova k I.A. i V.N. Buninym” [“M.A. Aldanov’s Letters to I.A. and V.N. Bunin”], publ. by M.E. Grin. Novyi zhurnal, no. 80, 1965, pp. 258–287. (In Russ.)
10. Korostelev, O.A., and M. Schruba, editors. “Sovremennye zapiski” (Parizh, 1920–1940). Iz arkhiva redaktsii: v 4 t. [ “Contemporary Annals” (Paris, 1920–1940). From the Archive of the Editorial Department: in 4 vols.], vol. 2. Moscow, Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie Publ., 2012. 976 p. (In Russ.)