- Author: Margarita M. Pavlova
- УДК / UDK: 8184.108.40.206
- About the author:
Margarita M. Pavlova, DSc in Philology, Leading Research Fellow, Institute of Russian Literature (Pushkin House) of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Makarov Emb., 4, 199034 St. Petersburg, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0500-6113
The journal “Sevemy Vestnik”, around which relatively young Petersburg writers — A. Volynsky, N. Minsky, D. Merezhkovsky and Z. Gippius, F. Sologub — were grouped in the last years of the 19th century, was of exceptional importance for the early stage of Russian Symbolism. The article continues the previously begun publication of new materials from the archive of the publisher (since 1891) of the “Severny Vestnik”, Lyubov Gurevich. Two documents from the funds of the RGALI and the Manuscript Division of the IRL RAS — “Lovely Memories” and a note on the reorganization of the journal (1897–1898) — are presented. They are a kind of factual basis and addition to her article “Symbolism of the 1890s and the journal 'Severny Vestnik'” (presented in the first part of the publication: Literaturnyi fakt, no. 1 (19), 2021). Gurevich tells about the financial, organizational and censorship difficulties of keeping the journal and about complicated relationships in the circle of its authors and editors. The appendix contains Gurevich’s letter dated 1891 to her father where she admits that she is attracted by journalism and literary work “more than anything else”, and asks for financial help to buy out the collapsing journal and become the publisher of “Severny Vestnik” herself. Documents introduced into scientific circulation allow expanding the range of sources for studying the history of journalism and early Russian modernism.
- Keywords: “Severny Vestnik”, Lyubov Gurevich, Russian literature around the turn of the 20th century, writer’s memoirs, archival materials.
- For citation:
Pavlova, M.M “From Lyubov Gurevich’s Memoirs about the Journal ‘Severny Vestnik’. Part Two.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 3 (21), 2021, pp. 108–154. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2021-21-108-154
1. Anan'ich, B.V. Bankirskie doma v Rossii 1860–1914 gg. Ocherki istorii chastnogo predprinimatel'stva [Banking Houses in Russia in 1860–1914. Essays on the History of Private Entrepreneurship]. Moscow, ROSSPEN Publ., 2006. 296 p. (In Russ.)
2. Bogomolov, N.A. “V Iasnoi Poliane 125 let tomu nazad” [“In Yasnaya Polyana 125 Years Ago”]. Russkaia literatura, no. 3, 2018, pp. 170–180. (In Russ.)
3. Volynskii, A.L. “Russkie zhenshchiny” [“Russian Women”], introd., comm., publ. by A.L. Evstigneeva. Minuvshee: Istoricheskii al'manakh [ The Past: Historical Almanac], issue 17. Moscow, St. Petersburg, Atheneum Publ., 1994, pp. 209–292. (In Russ.)
4. Gippius, Zinaida. Dnevniki: v 2 t. [Diaries: in 2 vols.], introd. and comp. by A.N. Nikoliukin. Moscow, Intelvak Publ., 1999. (In Russ.)
5. Gippius-Merezhkovskaia, Z.N. Sobranie sochinenii [Collected Works], vol. 16 (supplementary). On i my: Dmitrii Merezhkovskii. Ego Zhizn', ego Rabota [He and We: Dmitrii Merezhkovskii. His Life, his Work.], introd., text prep. and comm. by R.A. Gorodnitskii and A.I. Serkov. Moscow, Dmitrii Sechin Publ., 2019. 592 p. (In Russ.)
6. Gurevich, L.Ia. “Istoriia ‛Severnogo vestnika’.” [“History of ʽSeverny Vestnik’.”]. Russkaia literatura XX veka [Russian Literature of the 20th Century], vol. I. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1914, pp. 235–264. (In Russ.)
7. Molostvov, N.G. Borets za idealizm (A.L. Volynskii) [ Fighter for Idealism (A.L. Volynsky)]. 2nd ed. St. Petersburg, Tip. P. Soikina Publ., 1903. 396 p. (In Russ.)
8. Pavlova, M. “‛Etot preslovutyi plevok v litso…’: Iz istorii zhurnala Severnyi vestnik” [“ʽThis Notorious Spit in the Face...’: From the History of the Journal ʽSeverny Vestnik’.”]. Ciepela, Catherine, and Lazar Fleishman, editors. New Studies in Modern Russian Literature and Culture: Essays in Honor of Stanley J. Rabinowitz. Stanford, 2014, pp. 117–137. (Stanford Slavic Studies, vol. 45). (In Russ.)
9. Pavlova, M.M., Bogomolov, N.A. “Iz vospominanii L.Ia. Gurevich o zhurnale ‛Severnyi vestnik’. Stat'ia pervaia” [“From Lyubov Gurevich’s Memoirs About the Journal ‘Severny Vestnik’. Part One”]. Literaturnyi fakt, no. 1 (19), 2021, pp. 8–60. https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2021-19-8-60 (In Russ.)
10. “Pis'ma Z.N. Gippius k A.L. Volynskomu” [“Z.N. Gippius’ Letters to A.L. Volynsky”], publ. by A.L. Evstigneeva and N.K. Pushkareva. Minuvshee: Istoricheskii al'manakh [The past. Historical Almanac], issue 12. Moscow, St. Petersburg, Atheneum Publ., 1993, pp. 274–341. (In Russ.)
11. “Russkie Modernen – Zinaida Gippius i Nikolai Minskii. (Iz pisem Liubovi Gurevich k Edgaru Meshingu)” [“Russian Modernen — Zinaida Giipius and Nikolai Minsky (From Lyubov Gurevich’s Letters to Edgar Mesching)”], introd. and comm. by M.M. Pavlova and S. Rabinovich, text prep. by M.M. Pavlova and K.V. Iakovleva. Russkaia literatura, no. 2, 2010, pp. 100–125. (In Russ.)
12. Suvorin, A.S. Dnevnik [ Diary], decrypting by N.A. Roskina; ed. prep. by D. Reifild and O.E. Makarova. Moscow, Nezavisimaia gazeta Publ., 1999. 670 p. (In Russ.)
13. Tolstaia, E.D. Bednyi rytsar': Intellektual'noe stranstvie Akima Volynskogo [The Poor Knight: The Intellectual Journey of Akim Volynsky]. Moscow, Mosty kul'tury Publ., 2013. 632 p. (In Russ.)
14. Rabinowitz, S.J. “A ‛Fairy Tale of Love’?: The Relationship of Zinaida Gippius and Akim Volynsky (Unpublished Materials).” Oxford Slavonic Papers. New series, vol. XXIV, 1991, pp. 121–144. (In English)