- Author: Vera N. Terekhina
- УДК / UDK: 8220.127.116.11
- About the author:
Vera N. Terekhina — DSc in Philology, Director of Research, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 a, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8708-9914
- Author 2: Nikolai V. Kotrelev
- About the author 2:
Nikolai V. Kotrelev (1941–2021) — PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 a, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
The article presents the historical context of the first-published document from the GARF foundations — A.V. Lunacharsky's letter of recommendation about V.V. Mayakovsky, addressed to F.E. Dzerzhinsky on April 13, 1918. In this regard, Mayakovsky was recommended to Dzerzhinsky as well-in knowledge of “artists, poets and other actors, in one way or another associated with anarchist groups”, for their “rehabilitation and termination of persecution”. The article establishes a link between the two events related to the published letter, namely, the release of the first and only issue of “Futurist Newspaper” on March 15 and the closing of “Cafe of Poets” on April 14, 1918. Based on the published letter, the article establishes a connection between the two events, namely, the release of the first and only issue of “Futurist Newspapers” on March 15 and the closing of “Cafe of Poets” on April 14, 1918. It concludes that there is a need for an in-depth examination of the anarchist period in Mayakovsky's creative biography. In this context, Lunacharsky's letter of recommendation to Dzerzhinsky is the earliest official document of Mayakovsky’s soviet period.
- Keywords: Mayakovsky, Anarchism, Lunacharsky, Dzerzhinsky, Malevich.
- For citation:
Terekhina, V.N., Kotrelev, N.V. “ʽ…Given to Comrade V.V. Mayakovsky’: An Unknown Letter by Lunacharsky to Dzerzhinsky.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 3 (21), 2021, pp. 185–195. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22455/2541-8297-2021-21-185-195
- Burenina-Petrova, O. “Anarkhiia i vlast' v iskusstve (Varvara Stepanova i Aleksandr Rodchenko)” [“Anarchy and Power in the Art (Varvara Stepanova and Alexander Rodchenko)”]. Siuzhetologiia i siuzhetografiia, no. 2, 2016, pp. 120–137. (In Russ.)
- Bykov, D. 13-i apostol. Maiakovskii [ Thirthteenth Apostol. Mayakovsky]. 2nd Moscow, Molodaia gvardiia Publ., 2016. 832 p. (In Russ.)
- Gur'ianova, N. “Estetika anarkhii v teorii rannego russkogo avangarda” [“The aesthetics of Anarchy in Theory of Early Russian Avant-garde”]. Meilakha, M.B., and D.V. Sarab'ianova, editors. Poeziia i zhivopis': Sbornik trudov pamiati N.I. Khardzhieva [ Poetry and Painting. Collected Papers in Memory of N.I. Khardzhiev]. Moscow, Iazyki russkoi kul'tury Publ., 2003. 848 p. (In Russ.)
- Dinershtein, E.A. “Maiakovskii v fevrale-oktiabre 1917 g.” [“Mayakovsky in February- March 1917”]. Literaturnoe nasledstvo [Literary Heritage], vol. 65: Novoe o Maiakovskom [vol. 85: New about Mayakovsky]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1958, pp. 541–570. (In Russ.)
- Katanian, V.A. Khronika zhizni i deiatel'nosti [Mayakovsky. Cronicles of his Life and Work], ed. by A.E. Parnisa. 5th ed. Moscow, Sovetskii pisatel' Publ., 1985. 648 p. (In Russ.)
- Krusanov, A.V. Russkii avangard 1907 –1932: Istoricheskii obzor: v 3 t. [Russian Avant-garde of 1907 –1932: Historical essays: in 3 vols.], vol. 2, book 1. Moscow, Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie Publ., 2003. 815 p. (In Russ.)
- Maiakovsky, V.V. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii: v 13 t. [Complete Works: in 13 vols.]. Moscow, Goslitizdat Publ., 1955–1961. (In Russ.)
- “Neizvestnye pis'ma K.S. Malevicha” [“The Unknown Letters of K.S. Malevich”], ed. A.V. Krusanov. Maiakovsky prodolzhaets'a [Maiakovsky Continued], vol. 2. Moscow, Gos. Musei V.V. Maiakovskogo Publ., 2009, pp. 319–324. (In Russ.)
- “Pervaia vstrecha Lunacharskogo s Maiakovskim v 1917 g.” [“First meeting of Lunacharsky and Mayakovsky in 1917”], publ. V.D. Zel'dovicha. Literaturnoe nasledstvo [Literary Heritage], vol. 65: Novoe o Maiakovskom [vol. 85: New about Mayakovsky]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1958, pp. 571–576. (In Russ.)
- Russkii futurizm: Teoriia. Praktika. Kritika. Vospominaniia [Russian Futurism. Theory. Practice. Criticism. Memoirs], comp. V.N. Terekhina, A.P. Zimenkov. Moscow, Nasledie Publ., 1999. 480 p. (In Russ.)
- Iangfel'dt, B. Stavka — zhizn'. Vladimir Maiakovskii i ego krug [ I Bet my Life. Mayakovsky and his Surroundings]. Moscow, KoLibri Publ., 2006. 640 p. (In Russ.)
- Gurianova, Nina. The aesthetics of anarchy: art and ideology in the early Russian avant-garde. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2012. 355 p. (In English)