- УДК / UDK: 8220.127.116.11
- Author: Ilona V. Moteyunaite
- About the author:
Ilona V. Moteyunaite, DSc in Philology, Professor, Pskov State University, Lenin Square 2, 180000 Pskov, Russia.
ORCID ID: 0000- 0001-6117-4555.
The report considers the perception of V.Ya. Bryusov by S.N. Durylin. The report is based on the book “In One’s Own Corner”, a newspaper article “Silhouettes. Valery Bryusov” and Durilin`s letters to Ellis and I.N. Rozanov. In private recordings “In One’s Own Corner” Durylin, concerning the writers, usually distinguished their “author” and “human” hypostases due to the specifics of his aesthetic program. The author shows that Bryusov’s poems first enchanted Durylin with the sharpness of their revolutionary spirit, and then attracted him with their passion and openness to the “abyss” characteristic of Symbolism as a whole. Durylin highly valued Bryusov’s Symbolist activity. However, his personality evoked conflicting feelings and did not yield to unambiguous characteristics. The most accurate expression of Bryusov’s complex personality for Durilin was his portrait by Vrubel. Mystical stories about the artists who worked on the portraits of Bryusov were recorded by Durylin and substantiate his unspoken direct attitude towards him: the connection of the demonic principle with a literary biography. The report also shows the stability of Bryusov's literary reputation, which significantly influenced Durylin in his early youth.
- Keywords: S.N. Durylin; V.Ya. Bryusov; literary reputation; Russian Symbolism; literature and painting.
- For citation:
Moteyunaite, I.V. “Sergey Durylin on Valery Bryusov.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 4 (18), 2020, pp. 341 –354. (In Russ.)
- Durylin, S.N. V svoem uglu [In One’s Own Corner], comp. and ref. by V.N. Toropova, introd. by G.E. Pomerantseva. Moscow, Molodaia gvardiia Publ., 2006. 879 p. (In Russ.)
- Durylin, S. “Vrubel' i Lermontov” [“Vrubel and Lermontov”]. Literaturnoe nasledstvo [Literary Heritage], 45 –46: M.Iu. Lermontov, book II. Moscow, Izdatel'stvo AN SSSR Publ., 1948, pp. 541 –622. (In Russ.)
- Moteiunaite, I.V. “Lermontov v tvorcheskom nasledii S.N. Durylina” [“Lermontov in S.N. Durylin’s Creative Heritage”]. Lermontov i istoriia. Sbornik nauchnykh statei [Lermontov and History. A Collection of Scholarly Articles], ex. ed. V.A. Koshelev. Veliky Novgorod, Tver, 2014, pp. 378 –388. (In Russ.)
- Moteiunaite, I.V. “Poety ʽArzamasa’ v osmyslenii S.N. Durylina: V.A. Zhukovskii, K.N. Batiushkov, P.A. Viazemskii kak literatory” [“The Poets of ʽArzama’ as Interpreted by S.N. Durylin: V.A. Zhukovsky, K.N. Batyushkov, P.A. Vyazemsky as Men of Letters”]. Literaturnoe obshchestvo “Arzamas”: istoriia i sovremennost': Sbornik nauchnykh statei [The Arzamas Literary Society: History and Modernity: A Collection of Scholarly Articles], ex. ed. S.N. Piatkin. Arzamas, Nizhny Novgorod, Rastr Publ., 2015, pp. 368 –376. (In Russ.)
- Moteiunaite, I.V. “S.N. Durylin o Pushkine: mezhdu ‛nashe’ i ‛moe’.” [“S.N. Durylin on Pushkin: Between ʽOurs’ and ʽMine’.”]. VIII Maiminskie chteniia [8th Maymin Proceedings]. Pskov, 2016, pp. 106 –113. (In Russ.)
- Moteiunaite, I.V. “S.N. Durylin o ‛Sheramure’ N.S. Leskova” [“Sergey Durylin on Nikolay Leskov’s ʽSheramur’.”]. Literaturnyi fakt, no. 4, 2018, pp. 305 –317. (In Russ.)
- Nefed'ev, G.V. “‛Moia dusha raskrylas' dlia vsego chudesnogo…’ Prilozhenie: Perepiska S.N. Durylina i Ellisa (1909 –1910 gg.)” [“ʽMy Soul Has Opened to All the Wonderful...’ Appendix: Correspondence Between S.N. Durylin and Ellis (1909 –1910)”]. Sergei Durylin i ego vremia: Issledovaniia. Teksty. Bibliografiia [Sergey Durylin and His Time: Studies. Texts. Bibliography], book I, comp., ed. A. Reznichenko. Moscow, Modest Kolerov Publ., 2010, pp. 113 –158. (In Russ.)