- УДК / UDK: 822.214.171.124
- Author: Maksim A. Frolov
- About the author:
Maksim A. Frolov, PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher, А.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of Russian Academy of Sciences, Povarskaya 25 а, 121069 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: AAE-1270-2019.
The article presents an attempt to chronically highlight the episodes of collaboration between I. A. Bunin and the “Book Publishing of Writers in Moscow” (1912 –1923) based on the preserved archival materials, both those that have already been introduced into scientific circulation and those that are published for the first time, help to look at them with a possible degree of objectivity. Chronologically, its center will be 1912, as well as the first few years of the existence of “Book Publishing”. Since 1963, the topic of the article has been covered in a number of articles and publications, but not as a separate independent story, but in the context of studying the activities of “Book Publishing” as a whole. I.A. Bunin was one of the most active and authoritative employees and authors of the publishing house. For seven years, eighteen books (including reprints) were published, including milestone books that were important for the development of Bunin's literary reputation. “Memoirs” of N.S. Angarsky-Klestov are published according to the latest authorized typescript (with additions from the 1992 publication in the journal “Voprosy literatury”); letters of S.N. Sergeyev-Tsensky, V.V. Veresayev, M.V. Averyanov, V. V. Muyzhel to AngarskyKlestov, letters of the Angarsky-Klestov to Sergeyev-Tsensky and Bunin, fragments of correspondence between Bunin and Veresayev, Veresaev’s letter to S.D. Makhalov, as well as the agreement between Bunin and “Book Publishing” concerning the fifth edition of the book “Mountain Pass. Short Stories 1892 –1902” (1913) are published according to manuscripts.
- Keywords: I.A. Bunin; N.S. Angarsky-Klestov; S.N. Sergeyev-Tsensky; V.V. Veresayev; M.V. Averyanov; V. V. Muijel; “Book Publishing of Writers in Moscow”.
- For citation:
Frolov, M.A. “I.A. Bunin and ‛Book Publishing of Writers in Moscow’. Materials and Comments.” Literaturnyi fakt, no. 4 (18), 2020, pp. 198 –234. (In Russ.)
- Bunin, I. A. Pis’ma 1905 –1919 godov [Letters of 1905 –1919], ed. O.N. Mikhailov, text prep., comm. S.N. Morozov, R.D. Davis, L.G. Golubeva, I.A. Kostomarova. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2007. 832 p. (In Russ.)
- Voronin, S.D. “K istorii ‛Knigoizdatel'stva pisatelei v Moskve’.” [“On the History of ʽBook Publishing House of Writers in Moscow’.”]. Arkheograficheskii ezhegodnik za 1997 god [Archaeographic Annual for 1997]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1997, pp. 144 –153. (In Russ.)
- Golubeva, O.D. “Izdatel'skoe tovarishhestvo pisatelei (1911 –1914)” [“Publishing Association of Writers (1911 –1914)”]. Kniga: issledovaniia i materialy [Book: Studies and Materials], vol. 8. Moscow, Izdatel'stvo Vsesoiuznoi knizhnoi palaty Publ., 1963, pp. 410 –430.(In Russ.)
- Golubeva, O.D. “Knigoizdatel'stvo pisatelei v Moskve (1912 –1923)” [“Book Publishing of Writers in Moscow (1912 –1923)”]. Kniga: issledovaniia i materialy [Book: Studies and Materials], 10. Moscow, Izdatel'stvo Vsesoiuznoi knizhnoi palaty Publ., 1965, pp. 192 –220. (In Russ.)
- Ivanova, L.M. “Arhiv N.S. Angarskogo” [“N.S. Angarsky Collection”]. Zapiski Otdela rukopisej GBL V.I. Lenina [Lenin State Library Manuscripts Department Proceedings], vol. 28 (1965). Moscow, Kniga Publ., 1966, pp. 4 –32. (In Russ.)
- Klestov-Angarskii, N.S. “Literaturnye vospominaniia” [“Literary Memoirs”], ed. M. Angarskaya. Voprosy literatury, no. 2, 1992, pp. 329 –360. (In Russ.)
- Letopis’ zhizni i tvorchestva A. Bunina [Chronicle of Ivan Bunin’s Life and Work], vol. 2 (1910 –1919), comp. S.N. Morozov. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 1184 p. (In Russ.)
- Svichenskaia, M.K. “Izdatel'skie tovarishchestva pisatelei” [“Publishing Associations of Writers”]. Knizhnoe delo v Rossii vo vtoroi polovine XIX — nachale XX veka [Book Business in Russia in the Second Half of the 19th and Early 20th Century], issue 11. Petersburg, Rossiiskaia natsional'naia biblioteka Publ., 2003, pp. 61 –86. (In Russ.)
- Svichenskaia, M.K. “Izdatel'skoe tovarishchestvo pisatelei” [“Publishing Association of Writers”]. Kniga v Rossii, 1895 –1917 [Book in Russia, 1895 –1917]. St. Petersburg, Rossiiskaia natsional'naia biblioteka , 2008, pp. 288 –292. (In Russ.)
- Svichenskaia, M.K. “Knigoizdatel'stvo pisatelei v Moskve” [“Book Publishing of Writers in Moscow”]. Kniga v Rossii, 1895 –1917 [Book in Russia, 1895 –1917]. Petersburg, Rossiiskaia natsional'naia biblioteka Publ., 2008, pp. 292 –298. (In Russ.)
- Shiniak, G.I. “Pervoe samoizdatel'stvo pisatelei v Rossii: po materialam vospominanii S. Klestova (Angarskogo)” [“The First Self-Publishing of Writers in Russia: Based on the Memoirs of N.S. Klestov (Angarsky)”]. Rumiantsevskie chteniia. 2005: materialy mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii (5 –7 aprelia 2005 g.)[Rumyantsev Proceedings. 2005: Materials of the International Conference (April 5 –7, 2005)]. Moscow, Pashkov dom Publ., 2005, pp. 286 –290. (In Russ.)
- Shruba, M. Literaturnye ob’’edineniia Moskvy i Peterburga 1890 –1917 godov: Slovar’ [Literary Associations of Moscow and St. Petersburg 1890 –1917: Dictionary]. Moscow, Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie , 2004. 440 p. (In Russ.)